Wednesday 25 September 2013

The Story of Cricket



When hubby and I moved into our new shack in the country, it was mutually decided that we would get a fur-face, specifically a dog.  Problem is, he’s a German Shepherd guy and I’m, well, I’m not.  While I admire them and think they are a gorgeous creature for say policing or locating dead bodies, they aren’t my favorite for cuddling and jumping on the furniture.  So, we ended up at an impasse and decided to find a breed somewhere in the middle that would satisfy us both.  That breed never seemed to present itself and so I waited………and waited……….and waited.  Unable to stand it any longer, I took action and got online “just to see what I could see”.  And what I could see, were pugs, lots of ‘em.

Found a breeder, went to see Cricket and just about died when I laid eyes on her.  Not only was she the runt of the litter, she was the most feisty and tenacious – something that hasn’t ever left her.  Picture a hummingbird amongst a bunch of mourning doves!  That was Cricket.  That was it, I was in love, she was coming home with me – even if hubby wasn’t 100% on side.  Friends told me that it was a 50/50 shot that he’d fall in love as soon as he saw her too.  Being the positive, glass half full kinda gal I am, I decided to just go for it.  He’d warm up, I knew he would…..

As soon as he pulled in the driveway, I grabbed up my little bundle and met him in the driveway.  I was so excited, I was gushing.  Hubby, being the gentle, loving soul that he is, stopped dead in his tracks, dropped his lunch pail and said, “Oh……………my………………God.  What have you done?”.
Years later and despite all the goings on about her not being a Shepherd, he has taught her commands in German, he has trained her to clear the property to ensure we are secure from Chipmunks and nuisance Grackles, he has taught her to adhere to the rules of the property line so she can enjoy a life unencumbered by a leash.  She is also the subject of many of his photographs and can be found no less than a foot from him most of the time.  If you were to ask him, he’ll tell you she’s okay, but she’s not his favorite.    Then all she has to do is cock her head and look at him with those monstrous, glistening brown eyes that say, “that’s okay, you’re a work in progress too Mister and my plan is to totally win you over”.  In my mind, there’s no question………he’s toast.

To see some unique Pug Art, please search The Pug's Pajamas on Pinterest, Etsy, Facebook and Fanartreview.

No comments:

Post a Comment